|photo source via j8mds.deviantart.com|
Duhat, also known as Java plum, Indian blackberry or black plum, is a fruit tree mostly found in the Philippines. It's tree reaches a height of up to 20 meters or more and its trunk to at least 75 cm in diameter. Its fruits are mostly oblong in shape and turn from green to dark purple when ripe. Filipinos love to eat it with salt to balance the sour taste.
Many natives believe that duhat contains medicinal properties that can cure a number of diseases. Let's look at them one by one:
- Has calcium and iron
- Cures diarrhea (Consume an abundant amount of fruit OR boil in 2 glasses of water for 15 minutes then drink)
- In India, it is used to cure diabetes (although doctors suggest further tests to verify this info)
- In Malaya, they turn the juice from unripe fruit to vinegar/wine. This helps drive out gas from the intestine and aids in urination
- Contains chemicals that migh lower blood sugar
- Has chemicals that protects against oxidation damage
- Reduces swelling
- Powdered seeds can be used as first aid for poisoning
|Photo by Andrew Ibot|
- Its extracts has anti-inflammatory content
- Its decoction is used as cure for dysentery and diarrhea
- Effective alternative cure for diabetes mellitus
- Effective alternative for diabetes mellitus (just like the leaves)
- Boil the bark to cure diarrhea, enema, dysentery and ulcer
- Some people use it as mouthwash
- Gargle a decoction to treat ulcers of the mouth
- Decoction is used for wounds and skin ulcers
- Too much intake of bark can be toxic
- Since duhat can lower blood sugar, experts are concerned it might interfere with blood sugar control during and after surgery. They suggest not to eat it 2 weeks before your operation.
Being a mom, aside from giving my family healthy food, I am always on the lookout for vitamins that will help in the growth of my two-year-old daughter. And I found it in Unilab.
To keep my little one away from any kind of sickness, I give her Ceelin Plus. It has ZincPlus technology that combines vitamin C and zinc in a syrup form which provides dual immunity-boosting action and a stronger immune system.
Another is Growee. This food supplement has Chlorella Growth Factor that helps her grow stronger and taller. It contains vitamins A, D3, E, B1, B2, B6, B12 and more.
When she was just an infant, her Pedia recommended that Ceelin oral drops until the doctor changed it to Growee. I noticed the increase in her appetite. But she became vulnerable to cough and flu. So I added Ceelin but since she’s already 2, we were suggested to go for Ceelin Plus.
I don’t want to try other products because I’m a little paranoid it might give my daughter allergies so I went for products only her Pedia approves.
Here’s my daugther right now. Growing healthier by the day. Thanks to Unilab‘s Ceelin Plus and Growee.
I’m not saying she doesn’t get sick anymore but in cases she catch colds or flu, it will only affect her for a couple of days. Yes. Ceelin Plus is really a big contributor to her strong immune system. Oh, another thing. Unlike other sick kids, when she does not feel well, her appetite does not get affected. And that’s what I love about Growee.
Saluyot is very popular in West Africa and other parts of the world. Oftentimes, this plant is mistaken as weed in the Philippines but according to The Department of Agriculture, they possess powerful components that provides both health and beauty, i.e., anti-ageing benefits. In fact, it is included in the top 10 most nutritious green and leafy vegetable in the Philippines
Health benefits of jute (saluyot)
- Rich in calcium for strong teeth and bones
- Has iron for proper blood circulation
- Provides protein for growth
- Has vitamin A for cell repair and improves eyesight
- Has vitamin C (ascorbic acid) to aid in boosting the immune system, helps improve blood circulation and lower the risk of cataracts and other eye problems
Also read: Health Benefits of Chayote
- Has thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, and dietary fibers which are all important for helping control blood pressure & cholesterol
- Lowers the risk of asthma, cancer, diabetes and heart disease
- Contains fiber that keeps the intestinal tract in healthy
- Helps treat liver disorders
♥ Tip: Make tea out of dried saluyot leaves. It can cure headaches, dysentery, stomach aches and ulcers
- Rich in vitamin E, which help slows down the aches and pains associated with aging
- Boosts stamina
Also read: Health Benefits of Cucumber Tree (Kamias)
- Increases sexual libido and fertility
- Better than anti aging creams, it nourishes the skin with vitamin E from the inside that provides a natural glow to skin
- Makes skin look younger
- Saluyot leaves can act as remedy when experiencing prolonged labour. Squeeze the leaves and the stem and drink it.
- For lactating moms, consume it to help in milk secretion
- Saluyot supplementation during pregnancy may help lower the risk of diabetes induced oxidative stress both for the mother and the fetus.
According to softpedia.com, as quoted:
Male baldness affects 70 % of men as they grow older, and the main inner biological cause is a genetic vulnerability of the hair follicle to testosterone, the male sex hormone. But smoking seems to speed up what hormones trigger.
Yes. For most people, their minds and body does not totally connect, resulting to poor performance the next day.
Thanks to the New York Magazine for giving us a few proven tips - from the amount of coffee you need to take to the food you need to consume to the duties you will most likely accomplish - the next working day.
Featured image via weirdnutdaily.com
We all have those days when we need to survive work without sleep - be it because of all-night par...
With this, many are looking for ways they can protect themselves from developing such disease.
Research reveals that pumpkin seeds can actually prevent prostate cancer. They contain powerful components such as phytosterols, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, alpha-linolenic acid and zinc that fights the development of the disease. Let's look at them one by one.
PhytosterolsAlso known as beta-sitosterol, this is often found in almost all plants. However, pumpkin seeds and its oil contain the highest concentration of this natural component.
Omega 3This essential fatty acid prevents the inflammation and enlargement of prostate.
Omega 6Also known as Linoleic Acid, this is found in pumpkin seed oil. It reduces the risk of prostate cancer and lessens the symptoms of benigh enlargement. Among the many functions of thsi essential fatty acid is it helps in the production of sexual hormones thus correcting the imbalances in ones body.
Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)Pumpkin seeds contain a high content of this essentail fatty acid which also has anti-inflammatory properties that help cut down prostate inflammation
ZincPumpkin seeds have long been known to be the source of zinc. This mineral has anti-oxidant that averts the inflammation of the prostate. Plus, it also acts as protection from oxidative DNA damage in prostate cells, improves DNA repair and regulates spread of cells.
Men at risk of prostate inflammation and prostate cancer should consume food items that are rich in these important components particularly those with essential fatty acids because these cannot be produced by our body.
NOTE: Do NOT use pumpkin seeds to treat prostate cancer. It is advised to consult your doctor first.
While it is true that fast food items are sure bet to increase your weight because of its exaggerated amount of calories, sodium and fat, you can choose a much better alternative that will save you 600 calories. These are:
- baked potato topped with chili
- fruit parfait
- grilled chicken sandwich or grilled chicken sandwich on whole-grain bread with lettuce and tomato
- entree salad with light dressings
2. Sweet desserts
3. Hummus, fat-free bean dip, salsa
4. Water-rich foods
Because they contain more fluid, they are naturally low in calories.
- Hot cereal
5. Whole-grain foods
These foods are high in fiber, fills your tummy well and more nutritious. They are brown rice, whole wheat, cereals, and whole-grain breads
In the world of diet, people assume that to drop body pounds, it would mean eating less or nothing ...
We are here to give you information as to how you can avoid the disease but first let us provide more details about the illness, it's causes, symptoms and if there's any treatment.
How do I protect myself from MERS-CoV?
What is MERS-Cov?
- Definition: Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus
- Other terms: EMC/2012 (HCoV-EMC/2012) / novel coronavirus 2012 / novel coronavirus
Causes of MERS-CoV
"There are many kinds of coronavirus, some of which cause the common cold. The MERS coronavirus (MERS-CoV) was a new variant" [source]
HOW and WHEN did it start?
The first case of MERS-CoV victim was in Saudi Arabia in April 2012 after many fell ill because of an unknown flu. It eventually became an outbreak and has since spread in countries across the Middle East also affecting people in Asia, United States and Europe.
Evolution of MERS-CoV
Researchers claims that bats in Saudi Arabia are hosts to a number of coronaviruses thus, MERS-CoV most likely originated in these creatures and was then transmitted to humans.
Others also found it in camels in Qatar, Egypt and Saudi Arabia
Symptoms of MERS-CoV
- Difficulty in breathing / Shortness of breath (dyspnea)
- Inability to maintain oxygenation (hypoxia)
- High fever (over 38°C or 100.4°F))
- Kidney failure
- Inflammation of the heart sac (pericarditis) or severe systemic bleeding from disruption of the clotting system
- Chest pain
- Body aches
- Sore throat
- Malaise (general feeling of being unwell)
- Runny nose
MERS-CoV vs SARS
Although many refer MERS-CoV to SARS (Severe acute respiratory syndrome) which is also a corona virus, MERS-CoV is distinct from the latter:
- Nosocomial infections of MERS occur early within the FIRST WEEK of illness of the index case [source]
- Cases where mostly seen in people older than 50 years with comorbidities
- Progresses to respiratory failure much more rapidly than SARS [source]
- Affected mostly men
- Infections occur mainly in the SECOND WEEK of illness when the patient's upper airway viral load peaks on day 10 of illness [source]
- In the SARS outbreak, the cases were primarily seen in young healthy individuals [source]
- Affected males and females equally [source]
How is it transmitted?
- MERS-CoV is spread from one person to another through respiratory droplet secretions.
- It often infected people who come in close contact or cared for another MERS-CoV patient
- Other sources may be through infected body fluids, respiratory secretions, raw or undercooked meat, and unpasteurized dairy products of camels [source]
How Do I Protect Myself From MERS-CoV (Treatment and Prevention)
Currently, NO treatment or vaccines are available to cure MERS-CoV although health care providers give medical care tosupport and relieve the signs and symptoms of MERS
Prevention / Precaution
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Use hand sanitizer ALWAYS
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact, sharing of personal utensils with those who are sick
- Always disinfect door knobs, phones, tables, and other common surfaces
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing
- Get enough rest (To boost immune system)
- Drink plenty of water (To boost immune system)
- Work out and exercise (To boost immune system)
- Eat healthy food (To boost immune system)
1. Boosts the immune system because of its vitamin C content
2. Reduces the body's overall acidity
3. Increases the rate of urination in the body
4. Wash outs toxins from the blood which also keeps your skin clear
5. Helps to relieve tooth pain and gingivitis
7. Fights stress
8. Rich in potassium which stimulates the brain function and stabilizes the blood pressure
9. It helps to lose weight faster
10. Stops irritating cough. Works like tube amp troubleshooting device
Many of us have been used to sipping coffee in the morning. But did you know that drinking warm lem...
Vestibular Papillae also known as Vestibular Papillomatosis is an anatomical type of vestibular mucosa. In another reference, it ...
Commonly known as bilimbi, cucumber tree, tree sorrel, or Kamias , this tree can be found in most tropical countries. In the Philippines, ...
A lot of women experiment on different brands of sanitary pads. Of course they will go with whichever they feel comfortable using - thin o...
Many of us have been used to sipping coffee in the morning. But did you know that drinking warm lemmon water every morning has its benefits...
Years are passing by. The once youthful glow you have is now covered with wrinkles and saggy skin. You look very tired and feel so old. You...
Corchorus olitorius, aka corchorus capsularis (Japan), jute or saluyot (Philippines) is a leafy vegetable that we often take for granted b...
If you’ve been a follower of this site, you will notice that I have featured a few health products that I’ve already used. Just to make it...
What is a Mucocele? Mucocele (MYOO-koh-seal) - it is a SOFT LUMP in the mouth. Why Do I Have It? (Causes) First and foremost, muc...
Did you know that your favorite Duhat has health benefits ? photo source via j8mds.deviantart.com Duhat , also known as Java ...
Common Names: Annatto, Atsuete, Lipstick plant (English), Yan zhi shu (Chinese), Rocou, Atole (French), Anattosamen (German), Lathwa (Hindi...
- ▼ 2015 (21)
- ► 2014 (35)
- ► 2013 (86)
- ► 2012 (68)
Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.